Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Estevan Oriol’s LA Woman

Whether it’s capturing L.A.’s mean streets or Hollywood’s elite, Estevan Oriol does it with ease. The L.A. icon graciously finds the time between juggling his clothing line, his new store Last Laugh, and dreaming up movie concepts with super-producer Brian Grazer to talk about his 2009 calendar, L.A. Woman.

The concept behind L.A. Woman.

I’ve always shot women, but it wasn’t until the last few years that I started putting those photos out there and getting recognized for them. I did a group show called L.A. Woman a couple years ago in LA at the Lab 101 Gallery with photographers Greg Bojorquez, Patrick Hoelck, Tony Ward, and artist Mr. Cartoon that went real good for us. I decided to take my collection of girls I had archived forward to do the L.A. Woman calendar and a soon to be coffee table book published through Drago Publishing in Italy.

Describing the selection process of the models used for the calendar and what unique characteristics define an L.A. Woman

Most of the woman I had shot before I had thought of doing the art show or the calendar. They just caught my eye. I had a lot of female photos in my archives. There are a lot of beautiful woman out there, but they are not sexy to me, so for my personal shoots, the women have to be sexy. I like the ethnic exotic look. I guess that’s what you’d call it. All of the woman in the calendar were shot in L.A.

What more is to come?

The release of L.A. Woman the book, the L.A. Tattoo culture book release, and more jokerbrand.com and Estevanoriol.com designs to come. Hopefully a movie, but Hollywood is crazy. A gang of photo shoots, videos shoots con el Willie T, music videos, our store Last Laugh, c.d. covers, etc… I’m not slowing down at all, I’m in my prime. I feel like I’m just getting started. Thanks Yuhmm for the interview and supporting our movement.



No comments:

Post a Comment